Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hunting

Like 99.9% of the world's population, I am mostly dependent on agriculture for my food. It's fun to pretend sometimes though. I enjoy foraging for berries, mushrooms and nuts.

Last week, I went crabbing in the San Juan islands. We caught our limit of meaty dungeness crabs every day we put the pots out. If we had been working harder at it (and it was legal), we could easily have caught enough crabs to feed ourselves completely. We cooked them fresh and ate some the same day. We extracted the meat from the rest, and made an amazing crab bisque using a stock made from the shells, and lots of cream.

Here's a "hunting photo". No smiling allowed; I had to look tough...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rather than thinking of it as "pretending", it can also be seen as practice or preparation. Though possible, I don't think the current food system will change drastically overnight, but as food prices continue to climb I wouldn't be surprised if more people supplement their diets with foods from alternative sources. Even in cities there's growing urban ag, guerrilla gardening, and fallen fruits movements.

Stephan Guyenet said...

Reid,

Good point. Maybe we'll see a proliferation of home gardens.